To submit a challenge

Just leave a comment (including the link) on the day of the week that your challenge is posted.
If you find a link that is no longer active, please notify me!

The Daily Dare lists team challenges only.
There are too many independent demonstrator challenges to include them.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thursday

Yesterday marked the end of our 12 Days of Christmas challenges, and now you have until midnight the 9th (Sunday) to complete your cards and get them uploaded to SCS with the appropriate keywords.  Winners will be announced Monday.  :)

Today I'm offering a "baker's dozen" challenge!  It is Epiphany, also known as King's Day or Little Christmas.  My challenge to you is to make something with a crown!  Use keyword DD12days13.


I made a King Cake, thus the idea for baker's dozen!  YUM!  Total decadence!  This picture is actually from a couple of years ago...you can tell that this is one ooey gooey sugary concoction! There is a lot of history and symbolism behind this tradition.  The cake is a triple strand braid (Trinity, three Magi) made into a never-ending circle to symbolize a crown.  It is decorated in three colors, symbolizing Faith (green), wealth (gold), and authority/justice/royalty (purple).  Tucked somewhere inside is a teeny plastic wee baby Jesus, and whoever gets that slice is designated king or queen for the day! 

Along the way during these 12 days, I got side-tracked from listing the supposed meaning of the various gifts in the 12 Days of Christmas song, so I thought it would be nice to list them all in one place...
  • The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.
  • Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.
  • Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.
  • The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.
  • The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.
  • The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.
  • Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit--Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.
  • The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.
  • Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit--Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-control.
  • The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.
  • The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.
  • The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed. (the creed here is not written exactly as we say it today, but the 12 points are listed nicely!)
And last, but not least...Thursday's ongoing challenges.

7 comments:

  1. Deb, I really enjoyed your 12 days of Christmas challenge and I love finding out the Christian symbolism in the traditional song. I loaded my baker's dozen card over on SCS. It is a thank you to you!!!I know it takes work and effort getting challenges together and I appreciate all you have done to make this fun for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what?? I thought all I had to do is load one more...tomorrow...after it's posted for a hop. haha. Okay, I have a great crown..I think...Loved the challenges! boy do I wish we both lived the same area. I see that cake eaach year and I want to try it. (And win the queen for the day title!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'd like to add a challenge please. It's a Thursday challenge and the url is paper-craftingjourney.blogspot.com

    Thank you!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Challenge blog just opened.

    By Lori Designs

    http://loriboyd2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Outlawz Thursday Prisma and Other Mediums Challenge

    http://outlawzchallenges.ning.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a challenge blog which posts on Thursdays:

    http://creativeprompts4u.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.creativetimeforme.com/2011/01/throwback-thursday-viewers-choice.html

    It may already be on your Thursday list but I didn't see it. She started her last challenge last Thursday and they are every other Thursday.

    ReplyDelete